Have you just moved to a new neighborhood? How exciting! Between unpacking boxes, meeting the neighbors, and perhaps registering the kids at their new schools, finding a new dentist may not be at the top of your priority list – but it should be! If the unexpected happens and you or your children have a dental accident, you will need to know where to turn. Fortunately, finding a good dentist in your community does not have to be difficult. If you are unsure where to start, consult the ultimate guide to finding a quality dentist in Scarborough below.
How to Find the Right Dentist
Finding the right dentist can be somewhat subjective, as different people are searching for different characteristics and skills. However, following these four points can help guide your search:
- Determine What Type of Dentist You Need – This should be your first step. Think about what your dental needs are – do you need a dentist who specializes in dental implants or cosmetic dentistry, a pediatric dentist for the children, or a family dentist that can see every close loved one, from young to old?
- Do Your Research – Check the history of a dentist by visiting your province’s dental board’s website, which tracks patient claims. Make sure the dentist you are considering does not have any suspicious claims filed against them.
- Find a Dentist with a Good Reputation – These days, public reviews can help you find almost anything, from a quality pizza restaurant to a reputable plumber. The same goes for the dental profession – search online reviews to read past positive or negative experiences patients have had at their dentist. Better yet – ask a friend or neighbor! Chances are, their local knowledge and personal experience will benefit your search.
- Interview the Dentist – Asking questions is a good opportunity to learn how a dentist operates. Either pick up the phone or visit the office with a list of questions prepared. Is the dentist – and their staff – comfortable and eager to answer your questions and address your concerns? If not, then perhaps you should continue searching elsewhere.
Signs of a Quality Dentist
What someone is looking for in a dentist will change slightly depending on their personal preferences, circumstances and dental goals. However, below are some commonly agreed-upon qualities of a good dentist:
- Flexibility – For many people with busy schedules, finding a dentist that offers flexible hours and scheduling outside of the typical 9 to 5, Monday through Friday window is highly important.
- Short Wait Time – A good dentist is one that values your time as much as you do and strives to be punctual as best they can.
- Comfortable, Clean Office – Your visit to the dentist begins the moment you walk in the door. If you don’t feel comfortable in the waiting room or the office seems unclean, it may not be the best place to have someone working on your mouth.
- Gets to Know Patients – Not everyone wants to chit-chat with their dentist, and that is ok. However, having a dentist that is relatable and that remembers your past dental treatments can create a more positive experience at the office.
- Follows up on Treatment – A good dentist is invested in the dental health of their patients and often will follow up treatment with a phone call days or weeks later to check how you are feeling and to make sure the treatment did what it was supposed to do.
In the end, the most important thing is that you find a dentist that you are comfortable with and trust to take good care of your gums and teeth. Using this guide should set you on the right path to finding a new dentist that suits you and who you will want to visit for years to come!
About the Practice
A proud graduate of the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, Dr. Samantha Amaro values improving her patients’ lives by helping them achieve the smiles of their dreams. To learn more about Dr. Amaro and the team at White Willow Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, visit their website today or call the office at 416-285-4545.